- The replay system has been updated so that replays now take up about half the space that they used to. This means fewer blocks are used on the memory card, save/load times are improved, and longer matches can be saved. NOTE: Replays saved prior to this version will not play back correctly on v.2b or newer.
- Starting a 1-minute time match is now "hand-warmer" mode, where fighters do not interact with each other, and the match automatically returns to character select while setting the game mode back to 4-stock. This was requested by the Japanese Melee community, who frequently use 1-minute time matches as hand warmers.
- When Tournament Mode is enabled, tournament settings are now reset whenever the Character Select screen is loaded (including in between games). This helps in case players strike using the Random Stage menu and forget to turn the stages back on.
- The 20XXTE version is now displayed on the Character Select screen in the upper-left corner. This can be used by TOs to quickly verify the latest version of TE is used on all setups. Note that this version (v.2b) is the first to do this. If the usual "VS" is displayed, that means the setup is either unmodded or running an old version of 20XXTE.
- Frozen Mode will now have three options: Off/Toggle/On. "Toggle" will work the same as Frozen Mode currently does, where you press Y to enable/disable it on the stage select screen. However, if you set it to "On", Frozen Mode will always be on.
- You can now enable a color overlay for "Wait" animations, which is a highly-requested training feature that shows you the frame holes in your movement.
- When Infinite Shields is enabled, CPUs will always hold shield.
- On the Character Select screen, controller ports can be closed even if the respective hand is hovering over the characters.
- CPU Zelda will now always start as Sheik and never transform.
- Fixed a rare bug where the incorrect team color would be applied to one of the players, causing doubles matches to end early.
- Fixed a bug where Zelda/Sheik would occasionally start as the wrong character during a replay.
- Fixed a minor bug regarding character portrait colors when Extra Shield Colors is enabled.
- Game crashes during VS matches have been completely eliminated.
- Replay playback stability has been improved.
- Fixed a bug where Z inputs would not occur while frame advancing a replay.
- Fixed a bug where deflicker would not apply until entering the deflicker menu.
- Fixed a bug where P4 could not access the replay menu.
- Fixed a bug where the game would crash if Z and Start were pressed at the same time on the character select screen.
- Fixed a bug where the flowers would still blow on frozen Dreamland.
- Fixed a bug where replay files would sometimes have a black banner image.
- Fixed a bug where charge moves would cause the controller to rumble indefinitely if "Unfreeze Game End" was enabled and "Skip Results Screen" was disabled.
- Added "CPU Smart DI" option; gives CPUs random DI and teching (50% tech in place, 40% tech roll, 10% no tech). Against powerful attacks, CPUs will use survival DI instead of random DI.
- Added "Copy 20XXTE" option to the 20XX Menu, which can be used to quickly copy 20XXTE to any memory card.
- The Name Entry button has been moved to the top of the nametags list.
- If Tournament Mode is enabled, Frozen Mode always starts as "Off" when you enter the Stage Select screen. When Tournament Mode is disabled, your Frozen Mode setting is remembered.
- Fixed a bug where some sound effects would continue past the end of a match/replay in some circumstances.
- Fixed a bug where 8-letter nametags would be chained together during replays.
NOTE: Causes nametags to be displayed incorrectly for any replays created before this version.
- Fixed a bug where Sudden Death would not function properly during Taunt Battle.
- Fixed a bug where "Skip Results Screen" could not be disabled after enabled.
- Fixed all Extended Name Entry bugs, including character misalignment and display bugs when using symbols.
- Exiting the Replay menu now takes you to the Character Select screen instead of the Main Menu.
- The Replay menu now asks you to confirm before deleting a replay.
- Rumble is now disabled during replays.
- The cursor now moves through the debug menu slightly faster.
- The default timer for time matches is now infinite instead of 2 minutes.
- Performance and stability improvements in all versions.
- Fixed a bug where Frozen Mode would not function on v1.00 and v1.01.
- Fixed a bug where selecting "Play Replay" with no replay in memory would cause the game to crash.
- Major performance and stability improvements.
- Fixed a bug where replays were sometimes recorded with the wrong inputs.
- Fixed a bug where the game may freeze during matches with a heavy load.
- Fixed a bug where Sheik and Zelda would not always start in their correct transformation during a replay.
- Fixed a bug where game speed could not be changed during Training Mode.
- Fixed a bug where offscreen bubbles would be in the wrong position if Widescreen Mode was enabled.
- Fixed a bug where inputting Salty Runback in some scenarios would take you to an unused debug menu.
- Fixed a bug where controller rumble would continue past the end of the match under specific circumstances.
- Fixed a bug where pressing Start in the 20XX Menu would display a results screen with four Captain Falcons.
- Replays now always have Salty Runback enabled.
- You can now press B during a replay to show/hide the HUD.
- The maximum replay length has been shortened in order to conserve system memory.
- The input display HUD has been slightly moved and recolored for better display on CRT TVs.
- On debug menus, L/R triggers no longer move the cursor left/right.
- For compatibility purposes, game language is forced to English.
- NTSC-J copies of Melee are now treated as NTSC-U (for NTSC-J compatibility).
- The Frozen Item glitch has been added to v1.00 Mode.
Pulled shortly after release to address bugs.